Sunday, May 21, 2006

Football is not the only game of inches



Great weather and awesome course. Nice work Erik's! Harmon park is now my favorite trail. Started off fighting for a good position and had to get a little nasty with a couple dudes. I mean really, they're holden up the show. I kept tellin' them to go but they'd only go when I called out my pass. That's really irritating. I know in this instance I don't have the right-of-way but when you're going too damn slow... get out of the freakin way! It was really bad. I'd call out my pass and they'd speed up and cut me off. I was sooooooo close to just checking them out of the way. So here's a warning those I pass. If I'm coming up on you pretty hard... GET OUT OF MY WAY! I'll put you in the ditch!



So I hook up with Paul S. and the Grizz once we passed all the riff raff and we're haulin'. I'm starting to feel really good like Jens Voigt or somethin'. We get out of the singletrack and I go for the gels and H2O. Then I feel the power of the Earth's gavitational pull and cheese grind it on the pavement. There goes the day. Not sure what really happened just some bad contact at the wrong time I guess. It took me a while to remember who I was and that I was in a bike race. Weird! Got back on the rig and Paul had dropped back to check on me and pull me back up to speed. Thanks to the adrenaline I was able to get going right away. Started to feel good again and was almost done with the 3rd lap just past the rock when I cramped up like a SOB. Thankfully Scott and Ty were there snappin pics. So I hung out with them for a while thinking I was done racing for the day. So after chillin for a while I decided to roll back to the start/finish to turn in my transponder and report my DNF. Well I started feelin good again. Rode myself back into the race. Unfortunately my race was over and I was just riding for points and to get my monies worth. I was surprised when I started hammering again. I was feeling pretty good and glad I decided to keep going after I went through the s/f. It was kinda fun racing by myself just crankin. Then Doug Swanson came up on me and passed. I swear that guy's a ninja. He's so quiet on the bike. So smooth. So I got to pretend I was racing expert again and with the lead racer. That didn't last long. Then a little while later Eric Dahl came up and had a chance to chat with him and give him some props on his new gig w/C'dale. Very nice! Tried to hold off the group behind him for a spell so he could get some more time on them... Not really. I couldn't quite block after the hell I went through for my race. It just didn't seem right.

Anyway I finished up dead last in my age group but got some much needed points. I'm pretty sore today but all in all I'd say it was one of my best races. If I wouldn't have stacked it or cramped I'm pretty confident I would have finished in the top 10 for sure. I'm also proud of myself for hangin in there and finishing the race. Didn't know I could be that tough. Good to know.

Well, I'm off to go see Ice Age 2 with Finley. That will cap off a pretty stellar weekend.

Check out the Grizz's pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/grizzlyadam/tags/mnscs1/

No comments: