Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The big bluff

Finally after many years I get a win. What a night.

The cat 5 race started just like any night and I felt really good, or so I thought. Went for the 1st sprint and the legs just weren't there. Thought that was kinda odd after putting in the 100 mile ride this weekend. Lalla said before the race that he thought those 100 miles would play to our advantage tonight. So the second sprint came and again I could only muster like 8th or so. So, I was thinking oh crap, maybe I'm not feeling so great, and decide to sit the 3rd sprint out and rest for the final. As we headed out on the 12th and final lap I decided that I wasn't going to wait for the sprint to start as we made our way up the final hill. NV and Hoigarrds had been playing some tactics and I really wanted to spoil there fun all by myself. So, half way through the back straight I start ramping it up. I go around the outside and notice that no ones taking me seriously. Their mistake. By this point the left turn after the straight before the merge was approaching and I wanted to use that merge/bottleneck to my advantage. So I just hammer. Hammer my arse off! I come haulin around the ess curve praying that my tires will hold. And hold they did. Made it to the final climb and kept looking back to see if they were coming. No, not yet. Pedal, pedal, pedal. Look back, still no real reaction. Nice! No one wanted to commit. Bad news, I was popped. I told my self, cry, scream, shed blood, or black out, but you get your butt across that line. There was no way I was going to blow this. I had just enough to keep the group behind me. Score 10 points for me and the overall win. Yah hoooooo!

No way that just happened. Did I mention that I was listening to the "Gambler" before the race. I found an ace that I could keep!

Just like some one mentioned in their blog a few weeks back. It's funny how you do well and everyone's like, hey when are you going to upgrade, or call you a sand bagger (Pete). I say bring it on. Make sure your comment reaches the ears of those who can grant upgrades. I want to be a cat 4. It's hard focusing on racing mountain bikes and getting your 10 mass starts. If this tips the scales I'm all for it.

1 comment:

Adam said...

Nice work dude! I was totally planning on being there to watch. I was even going to leave work early to go get my camera. Trace was excited to watch too. But then she reminded me that we had to help someone move.

Kudos - I'll be sure to get out of your way at Steeplechase this weekend. GO BCR!