Monday, April 07, 2008

Chip Timing for MCF events?

Pros:

  1. Total and lap times
  2. Easier results posting
  3. Maybe less dependency on officials

Cons:

  1. Cost; to buy, lease or rent, that is the question
  2. Cost to promoters
  3. Cost to MCF
  4. Dependability (see Pro #3 from above)

I've had experience in chip timing when I raced mtb's and I think even a triathlon, don't tell SickBoy.

I'm just getting into this at the eleventh hour so I'm heavily considering going to the MCF meeting tonight to get the skinny on all this.

I've read some comments that people are worried about the impact that handing out chips will have on lines at registration. I say preregistration to that! Again, not sure where we sit on the whole preregistration thin either. Hopefully that well be discussed tonight as well.

As for my opinion on chip timing. It's definitely the way to go. My biggest question is why so much, and why do I have to own it? I know there is a lease or rental option, but I don't recall this being an issue to race in the MNSCS. Then again, this could be why they disappeared.

Hopefully I'll make it to the meeting and have a better understanding of what this means for everyone. I hope someone will be presenting a cost benefit analysis of this whole undertaking.

If I don't make it, I'll keep my yap shut.

No comments: