Monday, June 16, 2008

Getting back in the groove...

What a way to spend Father's Day! Had my family, Christine's parents, my parents out at the race to cheer me on. Also, had Lalla and my neighbor (thanks for the pics) on the hill screaming at me. With out all that cheering I never would have made it. Thanks!
I'll admit I was pretty anxious to race on this course with the killer uphill and the screaming downhill into the tight turn at the bottom. Thankfully after my preride I was feeling much better. Which made me think of two things I was glade I did in preparation for this race; 1)racing at Afton the week before and 2)changing out my cassette.

After the start and making it up the hill I was actually feeling ok, but that second hill, like Ed said, was the kicker. I didn't blow up but those who were stronger (David S.) were able to separate themselves from the rest. I think it was on the 2nd lap where I settled into group of 3-5 riders where the racing for me started. As always, when the leaders are up the road it's nice to have a race within a race to make it fun. That group consisted of William Mayaviski and Brian Fosler (St. Paul Bicycle Racing Club), Jake Helmbrecht (Grumpy's/LGR) and Alex Atherton (Loon State). It was fun trading off with those guys. My one regret of the race was on the last lap going up the kicker on the backside. I had William and Jake on my wheel and I thought I'd try an attack and gap them. My timing was just a bit off and I gave up too early. I should have cashed in my chips and continued up the climb and bombed the short downhill and around the corner. If I had done that I might have got them to sit up. Shoulda coulda, woulda. ;)

All in all I was stoked that I didn't pop or get lapped. I even got to pass Kruse on the Chilkoot! I'm coming after you sickboy! Also, I wish I would have know that Erik Dahl was there. Great to see that you're back to racing! :) Or maybe you have been and I just haven't seen you since I race--like never.

The most fun was had, however, during the kids race where my eldest (Finley) raced in his first bike race! Proud Papa! sniff sniff.

So hopefully I'll finally be on a racing roll here and race tomorrow at the State Far Crit and then again in Richmond this weekend. I have to get ready to defend my title at Hopkins ya know. :D

2 comments:

Adam said...

Nicely done. Glad to hear you were happy with the result on a tough course. You deserve it.

And way to go Finley! That's awesome!

SickBoy said...

I totally ran the 11-23. Weenie.