Sunday, September 17, 2006

From way way back to 303rd



What a blast. Chequamegon was this weekend and I was able to get into the race after 15 years. Lot has changed. Ton more people and more talent.

I learned right away how hard it was going to be. Think I got to the line at about 9:15 only to see that everyone had reserved their spots with bikes. That was not a sight to see. So I took the walk of shame all the way to the back. I think it goes without saying that I was kicking myself. I mean what was I thinking. 1800 racers and I'd show up and hop right in. Really Marc:(

So during the roll out I kinda made my way but not too aggressively. Once we got on 77 I was movin through the crowd. Jumpin on wheels and snaking my way. Then when we got on Rosie's field I was haulin'. And that was pretty much my race. I just kept chasing down group after group.

It wasn't until mile 30 when I started to slow a bit. I think I could hear my legs asking me why we were still going.









At some point around there was when I saw Da Kruse chasing frogs in the ditch.

He said he flatted but I saw the jar in his hand. He looked really happy though.

Finally I approached the finish area and gave it every last drop. I think it took me some where around 5 minutes or so before I snapped out of my daze. I was dead tired.





Now for his five seconds of fame on a blog that no one reads...
Chatted with Eric Dahl at the finish. It's always cool when the fast guys talk to you. He finished in the top 30 but I know he could have beat JHK. Maybe next year.










Here are some pic's that I grabbed from www.skinnyski.com:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now you understand how I ride every race, i.e. from the back! Seriously, nice job. Looks like you were having fun.

For the record, Andy was in about 120th place at the fire tower. Just by chance I found him again where the Birkie trail crossed the course. He had flatted both wheels, which he was able to fix in part with my patch kit. 2 more riders stopped at the same spot with flats, and we saw at least 3 or 4 more ride by with flat tires.

Wiki said...

If I've said it once I said it a million times. Talc you tires.

Put it in the tire and dust it on the tube.

It works!

So, are you saying he would have beat me anyway?

How much time did he lose?

Anonymous said...

He easily lost 15 or 20 minutes or more. I'm not sure fow how long he was walking before he got to me either. He had one spare tube, but unfortunately my spare tube was junk. So, I patched the massive snake bite holes in the other tire, but we had to pull it back out and reapply a patch to one of the holes.

I tried to use his discarded tube to help another guy. I again patched two big snakebite holes, but when we put it in, it still failed. There was a third hole in that tube somewhere. Whatever Andy hit, it was nasty.

Anonymous said...

hi!!! visit www.maistraki.blogspot.com

SickBoy said...

I was riding with Mark Consugar when I flatted and I guarantee I woulda at least stayed with him or moved up a few spots.... and he finished 115th

HEATH said...

Fellow MN MTB racer here. I have links on my blog to every one who posted mnscs pics. You prob found my site or the links already. Anywho, nice to see another local blogger. Later, Heath