Thursday, February 16, 2006

1st. Race of the season


Looks like I might be heading down to Branson, MO or a little early season road race. The In-laws are going there to vacation and get some golf in. So, we decided to go with and I thought it would be a great opportunity to start the season with. That leaves me with a little more than a month to get ready. Sure am glad I already started training.

I'm really looking forward to a good season of racing. This year I decided to move up to B1's for cross and had a pretty decent year. I averaged about 15th place and ended the season at the Hudson Cross, GREAT RACE, in 7th. I believe. I addition to that I started training earlier than last year. So I should have a pretty good base and now that I have a bike that actually fits me... Who knows. It may be biting off more than I can chew but I would like to actually win an MTB race this year. I haven't done so since the 1991 Star of the North Games in the beginner class. It would be nice to taste victory again. I mean why go through all this training and pain if you don't hope to win one of these things. It may not come to fruition but it's worth a shot.

So how do we get there? Not 100% sure but I plan on using some strategically placed RR's as tune-ups for the dirt. Here's the tentative schedule:

March 25th RR Springfield, MO
April 15th Oxbow Classic
April 22nd Durand RR
April 29th Kenwoods Memorial RR
April 30th Iron man 100 mile
May 2nd Opus
May 9th Opus
May 20th Spring Cup
May ??th Tour of 10k Lakes (Afton course, my back yard)
June 18th Afton MTB
June 25th Waconia Triathlon
July 9th Mt. Kato
July 16th Muddy River Rock n' Roll
August 13th Welch (WWW?)
August 20th Powder Monkey
August 27th St. Paul Circuit Race
September 10th St. Paul Classic Hill Climb Challenge
Mixed in with all this I'll try to hit some of Penn's Thursday night races @ Buck
Hopefully I can get a spot for Chequamegon
Then... the cross season

And we start all over again!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

screw that, win an Opus....

Wiki said...

Yeah, maybe one of those too...

Bike Drool said...

Branson, MO?? Nah... but if you're passing through Columbia, MO -- You MUST race our "Winter Worlds" first road race of the year: Froze Toes, the last weekend of February, on Sunday. OK, take care.

www.bikedrool.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you might need to do a little more Opus to upgrade to Cat. 4. Might come in handy for the new Cross Categories next fall.

Not gonna do the whole Tour10K, or do you have familial obligations to wrestle with (like me)?

Wiki said...

Yeah, I'll probably just do the Afton leg, but who knows.

I'll also try to qualify for cat 4 but if I can't get enough races in I'll try to appeal or something. Not to toot my own horn but it wouldn't be fair to the C riders.

Anonymous said...

a good thing to do would be to not wuss out at Opus and enter both the 4/5 and Open races. That counts as 2 races for that cat 4 upgrade.

Anonymous said...

Already planning on that...

Mike Lalla said...

Hmm I plan to do all of them also... I'll get you your points(nice long lead outs...) Mark IF you help me get ta 3s...

Adam said...

Dont' forget the Hillside race..