Sunday, July 16, 2006

Muddy River



Well... Tough day in the saddle for this guy. From the gun I was in 5th position and feeling relatively good. Just into the 3rd of 4 laps I hit a little jump and caught what would be too much air. For the record I wasn't trying for mad air. Experience has taught me a XC race is not the place. Anyway, I get a some, and while airborne I get off line heading straight for a 12 inch diameter tree. I had just enough time, once I hit the ground, to realize there was nothing I could do. We're talking fractions of a nano second. So I nail the tree with my thigh, arm, shoulder, and I think my head, hearing all kinds of things snapping and metal klinking. Is that a word? The funny thing was I didn't even hit the ground. The damn thing stopped me dead in my tracks. I probably went from say 14-16 miles per hour to zero in the fore mentioned nano second. Of course my chain popped off but when I tried to flick it back on my arm wouldn't respond. I thought for a second that I broke my collar bone. After a couple more seconds I was able to get it moving and flick the chain on. Boy was it slow going after that. Wasn't sure if I was going to finish but I knew from my "Spring Cup" experience that you have to give yourself a chance to ride back into the race. And I did just that. I lost quite a few positions and some great momentum, but was able to pull off 11th overall and 6th in age. I rode a little when I get home to loosen up my thigh and it felt pretty good. I'm happy that I have a month now to recuperate.

Next up Welch...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tuesday crits...

O yeah good race. It must have been a sight to see, was anyone watching you?

Wiki said...

well god, why don't you fix me up so I can race the crit tonight.

That'd be super!

Wiki said...

Oh yeah, while you're at it bring that b/b and crank so I can whoop up on some 4/5's maybe even some 3's next week.