Tuesday, July 12, 2005

After the Bluff

So the race at mount kato went pretty well. Kinda had to since I've been sucking it up pretty bad lately.

It was obviously going to be blazing hot out so I tried to be ready for it. Drank tons of water a couple days before the race. What made the difference? Think it was the 5 gels I consumed throughout the course of the race.

Had a little scare at the begining though. Couldn't clip into one of my pedals (rookie). Immediately I thought, here we go again. Guess it ticked me off just enough to get the engines going. Once we hit the first climb I was instantly aware of how everyone legs were feeling. The pitch didn't feel that bad for me so I knew it was going to be a good race. It's been a long time since I hadn't thought about dropping out of a race. I just kept eating my gels (power bar). I felt like the Energizer bunny. don't worry, I won't say it. At the end of every climb I felt as fresh as I did at the begining. I actually thought for a while there that I was in first. Ha ha, not so. Well I ended up taking 7th overall and 3rd in my age group. A long ways from 110th overall at the Firecracker.

So it seems as if my form has been there all along but my energy wasn't. So when the MNSCS heads to Memorial park in a couple weeks, I'll prep the same and see what happens.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude - nice race! You were gone from the start. It's great to see you back in form. Hopefully my lack of riding for two weeks won't hinder MY performance this weekend. HA!